Welch Library Course Reserves Policy
The Welch Medical Library reserves coordinator for your school can arrange to put print or online library resources for your classes on reserve.
|School of Medicine||Christopher Henryfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|School of Nursing||Vivian McCallemail@example.com|
|School of Public Health||Joseph Martellottafirstname.lastname@example.org|
- To ensure the materials your students need are available on time, please make your request 4-6 weeks before your course begins.
- If you need material for your course that is not already in the Welch collection, the library will purchase it.
- Welch follows Educational Fair Use guidelines and will absorb any necessary copyright fees for Reserves.
Welch staff work with the Course Management Software of all three JHM schools. We place links to the web-accessible resources requested for a course in the CMS. We can also give you the information you need to link directly to eResources in your course’s website.
We do not place pdfs or other kinds of copies of articles or chapters in the CMS; we only post links to the material. We do this for two reasons:
- this practice complies with Fair Use Guidelines for copyright, and
- we get a better understanding of resource use if each person goes to the source for the article; if the pdf is posted in the CMS many people may use the article but our use data will only reflect one use– the time it was downloaded for posting.
Faculty may also place required physical textbooks, supplemental textbooks on reserve for courses. To reserve these materials for your class please fill out this online E-Reserves Request Form
Welch print course reserve materials are available at the following locations:
School of Medicine
Armstrong Bldg, Reserve Room 306
School of Nursing
Carol J. Gray Study Room, Room 313
School of Public Health
School of Public Health Bloomberg building, E4643
School of Public Health Hampton House, 9th floor
Reserve materials at these locations circulate using an honor system. If you have personal copies of materials that you wish to place on reserve you may wish to make alternate arrangements for their availability.
More material on copyright, academic & educational permissions, rights retention and open access
Copyright explanatory materials:
Additional information on Academic & Educational Permissions at:
For more information on why and how to retain your copyrights, see the Johns Hopkins Scholarly Communications Group and SHERPA, which is a resource in which you can find the rights-retention policies of many journals and publishers http://www.sherpa.ac.uk/romeo